Friday, March 18, 2011

DIY: Jewelry

Every now and then, I stumble upon something in a store or a magazine that catches my eye, and I think to myself, "I bet I can make that myself." In my mind, I'm a DIY enthusiast, despite having limited experience in completing projects from start to finish. Whether it's bed headboards, jewelry, or artwork, I've dabbled in them all, rarely achieving a result that truly satisfies me. So, here I am, embarking on my next mission: to actually complete something and genuinely love it.

Let me take you back to a past DIY endeavor. Every year, my family and I vacation in Maine. A few years ago, I stumbled upon a quaint seaside boutique showcasing the most exquisite sea foam/teal and gold bracelet. I envisioned it adorning my wrist, complementing many of my Spring/Summer outfits perfectly. Then I glanced at the price tag – a staggering $475. Ouch. But rather than splurging, I opted for a more introverted approach. I pulled out my reflective journal and sketched a picture of the bracelet.

A week later, back in NYC, armed with cash and determination, I ventured to the Fashion District, home to numerous bead, button, and jewel stores. After a $30 shopping spree for gold chains, loops, hooks, stones, and armed with my bracelet sketch, I returned to my apartment ready to bring my vision to life. Fast forward to March 18th, 2011 – an unusually warm day for March, with temperatures hitting 70 degrees. As I opened my under bed storage, a plethora of half-finished DIY projects stared back at me. Among them lay the 95% complete bracelet – gems still glittering, gold-plated stainless steel chain still shining. However, it remained unwearable. I hadn't figured out a way to secure the gems without a soldering tool, and the protruding gold sticks made wearing it uncomfortable. Ouch, indeed.

So, as I prepare for my Spring/Summer '11 ensembles, my mission for the next month is clear: to finally finish the bracelet and check a DIY project off my list once and for all!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment