Monday, December 20, 2010

...and then there were 2


From corporate elevators to Thanksgiving gatherings and even the bustling aisles of the Union Square Farmers Market, I've been surrounded by a language that's always felt foreign to me. That all changed just 16 weeks ago, in the cozy confines of my friend Gail's living room. Picture this: ten of us girls huddled around laptops, fueled by countless bottles of wine, embarking on a journey to learn a language spoken by millions around the globe. In case the smudged black under our eyes didn't give it away, we decided to tackle football.

Step 1: Launch a Fantasy Football league. Check!

No, I'm not orchestrating some Dexter-style serial killing spree among my girlfriends. But week after week, I've been dominating "Chicken Dinner," "Tortious Tacklers," "Little Giants," and the like in our fantasy football matchups. Thanks to binge-watching "The League" on FX (more of a testosterone-fueled soap opera than a tutorial on raunchy fantasy football smack talk) and scouting player projections online, I've secured a spot in my league's finals! Sure, it's not a jackpot like $1,500 – we're fantasy rookies, so it's just $15 bucks each, with the winner claiming a modest $150 and eternal bragging rights until next season.

This wasn't exactly the direction I envisioned for my blog when I started it. I had dreams of captivating readers with inspiring photographs that screamed, 'wow, this chick has style!' Well, let's be real, this post probably won't have anyone raving about my impeccable taste. But hey, if you stumbled upon it, stay tuned. Who knows where this journey might lead next...

UPDATE: Second place is just a fancy term for the #1 LOSER.

"Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change." Someone fed me that line years ago, but as I've grown older, I've realized it's a load of crap. I still despise losing, and I refuse to pretend otherwise. So, Fantasy Football league 2011, watch out.

Here's to hoping I stumble upon $20 bucks on the sidewalk. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment